Columbia Heights, Minnesota
The iLander is looking to hire teens who can write, take photos and make videos - or who have an interest in learning how to do those things. We pay $10.10 per hour for up to six hours a week of work. We meet twice a week in the mornings, but most of the work you would be doing is at home or out somewhere reporting, writing and taking photos or shooting video.
A camera is provided, as is a notebook and our famous pens.
Because of the independent nature of the work, the iLander is looking for students who are dependable, responsible and who can meet deadlines. We receive thousands of visits a month, so we need people who can do the work on-time for our dedicated readers. You must also be able to work as a team with people you might not be friends with at school.
This is a job, but it is also an educational opportunity. We have hosted journalists and public relations specialists as guest speakers from local organizations such as the Pioneer Press, the Sun-Focus, MinnPost and from the American Lung Association in Minnesota.
To apply, email iLander Supervisor Aaron Vehling at email@example.com.
In your application, answer the following:
1. Name, phone number, email address, grade and age.
2. Extracurriculars you are (or will be) involved in.
3. Any current or past jobs you have or had.
4. Specialties and talents (such as writing, audio/video production, photography, etc.).
5. Names of three teachers who could be references for you.
6. Why you want to work for the iLander.
7. What you would like to change or what you like best about the iLander.
Applications are due by 8 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 8, but you should probably just turn them in before then. Earlier is often better. We will contact you for an interview in September.